Saturday, August 9, 2014

"You Oughta Know"

I am so excited for this Link Up with Jasmine over at Buzzing with Mrs. Mcclain!
Along with other teachers I am sharing something with you that I think
"You Oughta Know"
 and will make your year a bit easier!


When I came across this link up I had a few things come to mind that I knew I had to share.
When I was trying to decide which one to use first it was hard not to let them all out at once.
So, I decided on one that I knew you all might need as you are getting your
classrooms ready for your little readers.

Before I share this with you I have to tell you I tried to take pictures of the process
without being in them and it just wasn't the same so I had to have Josh take them while I acted it all out with lots of smiling and dramatic flair, of course.
So here you have it, me being super happy about creating some book bags!

4 years ago I wanted to do away with book boxes. 
For one thing I was tired of buying them every year
and for another I just did not want to give up the space to store them. 
I desperately wanted to buy book bags to put on the backs of the chairs, 
but like usual at around $6 each I desperately didn't want to pay the steep price for them, 
especially with almost 40 little darlings in my class that year. Yikes! 
So I set out on a mission and I would have to say it has been one of my best yet!
I went to walmart and bought 20 sets of pillowcases for a total of 40. 
They were $3.97 for two so I spent almost $80 for my whole set.
I was at the Dollar Tree a couple of weeks ago though and they had pillow cases too. I couldn't believe it. You could make them for $1 each... there's no beating that!!

Here's what you'll need to do. Take a regular sized pillow case.





I don't sew, but my Auntie has a sewing machine and sewed them all up for me. LOVE HER!
From a sewers standpoint she said it was the easiest things she's ever done. 
It took less than an hour to do all of them.



Here they are in my classroom. I have had them for four years and this year I had to replace two due to someone cutting a giant hole in the bottom with some Fiskars. Stinkers! Other than that they have tons of room for storing books and journals, plus I can take them home and wash them over winter and summer break to keep them looking new! 


I hope you found this helpful. Let me know if you try it out. 
I would love to see how they are working out in your classroom. 
Make sure to head over the "You Oughta Know" blog hop 
and check out some other amazing ideas!







7 comments:

  1. This is the easiest tutorial I have seen for making these! Thanks so much for sharing. And I just love your adorable blog :)

    Mrs. Plemons' Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessica,
      I am so glad to hear that those directions were easy to follow. I was a tad bit worried, lol. Thank you for stopping by my little ol' blog!

      Delete
  2. Fern,
    I am so happy you came by to check it out. I have been following you for a blogging eternity and love everything you have to share!! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete