Sunday, April 19, 2015

Mother's Day

If you're anything like me then Mother's Day rolls around 
and bites you in the butt every- stinking- time! 

I get myself all sorts of stressed out trying to find the perfect gift
that won't cost my paycheck and will leave those mamas smiling. 

As usual, I over analyze everything and when I should be celebrating 
Mother's Day myself I'm left anxiously wondering what the moms of my sweet kids thought when they opened their gift that morning.  {I know, ridiculous, right?!?!} 

Last year, we read Because of Winn Dixie as a class.
 How could you not fall in love with this book? 
When the Preacher told Opal 10 things about her mama I knew 
just what we were going to do!

This is a keeper people! 
I had more than a couple of mom's email me to say just how much this gift meant to them. 





The kids put together little books of stapled construction paper and plain copy paper. The covers were 3.5 x 3.5 and the copy paper was 3 x 3. I literally cut the paper to size and the kids did the rest. They had a front cover, a back cover and 5 pieces of paper in between. They also used one piece of copy paper to glue to the cover. Before beginning the final copy I had the kids brainstorm 10 of the most important things about their mom. They could be as simple or as heartfelt as they wanted. I also had them do a rough draft sketch to match each. 

Once their rough drafts were complete they set to work on their books. So little of what we do allows kids the freedom to make their own decisions and work at their own pace without constant direction from us. During art I am constantly stopping to give kids next steps. This project on the other hand was completely done by kids. I was freed up to walk around and just enjoy watching them as artist and writers. 









You don't have to read Because of Winn Dixie to make these little books work for your class. Any mama is going to love listening to her little one read a story written from the heart!

On the Friday before Mother's Day I brought in a few ingredients for the kids to make their mom a little breakfast in bed yogurt parfait to eat while they read their story together. 

I might try another recipe this year, but I liked this one because there wasn't any baking or mess involved. The kids just came over, mixed their goodies and wrapped it all up. 

Here's what you'll need:

-A few tubs of vanilla yogurt (each kids needs 1/2 cup)
-A tub of Quaker oats, you know the big round ones (2 tbsp. each)
-A few cans of crushed pineapple (1 tbsp each)
-Small plastic cups 
-Plastic wrap and twist ties
 (I like to get the little cellophane bags that come with the zip ties)

Have each kid mix together their own ingredients. Then they place their cup in a cellophane bag, sealing it shut with a twist tie. The book and the breakfast go in a brown paper bag, complete with this sweet little poem.

P.S. Don't forget to remind them to put their breakfast in the fridge right away when they get home. 


Of course you can grab this little FREEBIE by clicking HERE
While, you're there be sure to follow my store. Happy Teaching!



















1 comment:

  1. Yay!! I'm so glad you posted it. Thank you for sharing such a wonderful and unique gift idea! I can definitely see why these books are a treasure to their mom's. I have pinned and shared on my fb page. Thank you! :)

    Melissa
    Jungle Learners

    ReplyDelete