Tuesday, August 5, 2014

$0 classroom door hanger



Good morning! And what a good morning it is.
Our power went out a few days ago and somehow short circuited our furnace. 
Long story short it is fixed and we have air conditioning again. 
So here I sit sipping my coffee with a still sleeping baby.
I don't know how I grew up without air conditioning! 
It's weird how going to sleep with all of the windows open and fans
 blowing made it feel that much more like summer though.
 It brought me back, for sure!

Being without air conditioning in this heat really wasn't all that bad- I am just being a whiner. 
The worst part was that baby girl had a hard time sleeping 
because her room gets so hot. She goes to bed before it starts to really cool off 
and sleeps with the door closed. At about 11 she would wake up and be ready 
to party in that sauna of a room. I on the other hand was not ready to join her party. 

With all this heat we have been having a lot of fun. We drove 4 hours to Wildlife Safari last week. 
It was pretty dang amazing. We could have literally reached out our window and touched a bear. We had to stop for animals in the road a dozen times and usually they would just walk right up to our window to say hello. 


This guy was quite a character :P




Now on to the point of this post. 
We have been shopping at Costco lately- best. place. ever. 
I had this gigantic cereal box that Josh of course thought I was crazy for saving. 
I wanted a cutesy classroom door sign, but I am really trying to be good 
and cut costs as we are headed back to school. 
There are always last minute things to buy that I don't think of 
in the couple of days before kids are back.  

I started with this. I used a ruler to draw a pencil shape and then cut it out. 
After that I painted the middle yellow, the eraser tip pink and the point tan. 
I let it dry for a little while and then drew the design for the zebra stripes with pencil. It was so much easier than it looks. There was no technique, just some messy wavy lines. I painted the zebra stripes and the polka dots, added a tip to the pencil and there you have it! 


 The next day I cut out the letters for my name using my silhouette cameo. 
I could not be happier with how it turned out! 
The best part is I literally paid nothing. 
I did find this design somewhere on Pinterest and took a screen shot with my phone.  
So if you know who made it please let me know so I can give them credit!! 


Here is my 50 mile long to do list for today. I am going into the classroom today and tomorrow hoping to get this all done. We go back in 3 weeks-ish and it is always my goal to be pretty much done the week before so that I can do nothing school related that week. I can't wait to post classroom reveal pictures later this week! 

Until then do NOT forget to enter the giveaway. 
It ends Sunday so you still have time to win one of 7 incredible prize packs.
 There are even a few door hangers- plus teacher planners, classroom banners and garlands 
and over a hundred TpT products! So get your booty over there. Just click HERE!



2 comments:

  1. That sign came out adorable! I can't do lists that long. It brings on some severe anxiety! haha

    Little In Betweens

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I have anxiety every second of my life. I think it fuels me though - hahaha.

    ReplyDelete